Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Killer Pack and Plays and Guilt trips

Well, apparently there was an earthquake early this morning with its center just about directly beneath us here in P.O. Of course, I didn't feel it despite having a house full of animals to warn me. It was only a 2.2 or something, but apparently Jerry's dogs had him up and out of the house with his shotgun at 3 a.m....so our animals are not to be depended on in case of emergency or natural disaster. Good to know.

I survived S and G with ease today, or I guess it is more truthful to say that they barely survived me. I almost got eaten by the Pack and Play that I was setting up for "Sissy" to nap in...yeah, that in itself is a funny one, there was NO napping on her part... and then I couldn't heat G's bottle up because, oh yeah, our microwave doesn't work. Good thing he didn't like the stuff she sent anyway cause he wasn't taking any of it. But we watched Veggie Tales, drooled on the floor, colored, drooled on my leg, ran in circles from the living room into the kitchen, through our bedroom and office and back into the living room--and back--,drooled on the dog, watched the fish, hunted the "pussy cats", rode on the stuffed whale, drooled on the couch and snacked on Cheerios and oranges up until just before noon. Then G went down like a trooper on our bed, and Sissy was dutifully placed in the Killer and left with her bottle of water (because I suck and don't have chocolate milk), her pacifier and her babydoll. She then proceeded to sing "Twinkle Twinkle" to the glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling of her brother's room for the next hour and a half. When their mom called to say she was done early, did she want me to come get them or leave them to sleep, I laughed, because by then G was up again and busily drooling on my shoulder.

But y'know what? It was fun when all was said and done. I am pooped and I no longer want to have a baby in my house full time, but it was fun and I am proud of myself. I even managed to get some sewing done and have dinner on the table (green chili chicken enchiladas, thank you Tutu!) in time for Jeff to get home. Just before he had to leave again with N in tow for basketball practice.

As I write this I have to admit to feeling overwhelmingly guilty because I passed on a request to play Barbies with L. I just can't do it, I am not a make believer, if I ever was I have forgotten how. I told her I would be happy to help her do their hair or dress them up but that I wasn't all that good at pretend with Barbies. So now I am wallowing in guilt that I had the opportunity to be a fun mom and knowingly and willingly blew it. Still doesn't make me want to play, though. Heck, when our dog Rosie was here, even she was better at tea party than I was. She would actually drink what was in the cup while I just pretended.... Do I get points for at least feeling guilty and knowing that I suck? I even went in and offered to help her again with their hair, but by then the moment had passed and she wasn't interested anymore....ugh.

So big plans for tomorrow, Jerry bought all the makings for a pot roast but then also delivered with it a packet of meat marinade. So it is currently marinating, but then what do I cook everything in in the crock pot? Cooking!! I am beginning to long for the caveman days, when kids ate what they were given because that literally was all there was, there were no appliances around to lull you into a dependency and then break, and you didn't have to constantly tell people NO more computer, NO more video game, NO more TV etc etc, because, well duh, there weren't any. Basically the only thing that would be the same is my gripe about kids and sticks.

I could live with that.

2 comments:

Tutu-wa said...

Good job Katie. Interesting reading. Now if you just add some pictures for us grandparents...

Katie said...

Ugh! I am trying, do you know where my camera cord is? I know I left it on my desk....