Monday, January 18, 2010

Baptism by fire

Okay, so to make a long story short, we were asked my my ex-husband and his wife to be godparents for their son, my boys' little "half" brother. Jeff, being the saint that he is, went along with the idea. I truly do love that little boy and his sister, they are just like a niece and nephew to me so it wasn't such a stretch for my brain, but watching peoples faces when I am forced to explain how I am not related...hilarious.

Anyway, we have had this on the calendar for months. On the calendar, in my phone, on my computer, it was duly noted. We got everyone up plenty early to accommodate showers, changes of outfits, breakfast etc and ended up with time to spare. So I decided to be responsible for once, and get to the church about 15 minutes early, just in case this was a different ceremony (Lutheran vs Episcopal) than I was used to. We drive up to the church at 9:45 only to find the church parking lot PACKED and not a person in site. Upon checking their signage, services were at 8:00, 9:30, and 11:00.

Okay, first major difference between churches, OUR church services are 8:00 and 10:00. Panic didn't totally set in, however, until we found Nettie and Gary's car among the throng of vehicles. CRAAAAAAP!!! So the kids and I jumped out of the car and jetted through the entry hall (which was curiously packed for it being during a church service) dress shoes clacking, winter coats rustling and someone in our midst rudely shout-whispering "Hurry up and BE QUIET!!!". We blasted into the back of the church during a hymn. As I was asking one of the ushers near the door if this was the service with the baptism, Annette appeared at the front of the aisle with eyes as big as saucers, waving us frantically up the aisle to the front row. Jeff made it to the pew in time to remove his coat before we were graciously herded up onto the stage to perform the ceremony. I have visions of the pictures coming back with our hair standing on end, sweat rings under our arms and glazed looks of panic on our faces. But we made it through and despite my numerous apologies, Nettie was gracious enough to point out that we did make it in time for what mattered and everything went well! Amen.

The final frustration of the night was dinner. On our way home that evening, Jeff had the wonderful idea to stop and get Teriyaki, in order to save me the hassle of cooking dinner. Yes, I am sorry to say that is what cooking dinner means to me. Julie Childs I am not. However, it was not known to us that every Asian food based restaurant (save the China Sun Buffet) is closed on Sunday. It is now known. Instead we ended up stopping at the grocery store and picking up some frozen meals, which, upon arriving home, we discovered needed to be cooked in the microwave. Uh, whoops. No microwave yet. So I attempted to boil the bags. 45 minutes and one disappointing attempt to open one of the bags later, I was across the street using Jerry's microwave to zap everything into submission. Needless to say it was one of the most disgusting meals I have ever had the pleasure to NOT call my own.

So, all in all, though the day began with stress and ended in frustration, I can honestly say that it was a fun day for all. G, the Baptised, was a little angel during the ceremony, was awake long enough afterwards to put some sizable bruises on my thighs from jumping on them, but then was gracious enough to fall asleep in my arms. S, the Birthday Girl, was cooperative and good spirited enough to forgo her usual nap so that she could entertain us all in her pretty tulle dress and endless request for "mo chips?". A long day.....but fun.

I hope I can say the same tonight in regards to today when all is said and done. Thinking that it was going to be another rainy day, I blithely commented that it was too bad as I had planned to have a day at the zoo. Um, still waiting on that rain..... um, helloooo!!!???

No comments: