Monday, November 1, 2010

This Blessed Life

Okay, so if you know me (which I am fairly sure that all three of you do) then you know that we had a drama-filled weekend with a family member being given a scary medical diagnosis. One's first reaction is to say "S**T!! Life sucks!" But let me tell you, as a result of that one horrible thing, I have been presented with so much to be thankful for! Here is just a sampling of how God works...

**Thursday night we got the call that our beloved family member is in distress and prayer is needed.
    God's Response - Jeff and I spent an hour talking to SOOOO many friends and family members who we know are believers in Christ and the power of prayer.  It is so comforting to know that we have such wonderful people in our lives and that even if they don't know each other, they will drop EVERYTHING at the simple request to pray for someone in need. Simply the gift of being able to share such an experience with them was totally fulfilling and despite the fear that we had been filled with at that phone call, both Jeff and I slept soundly and peacefully.

**Friday morning Jeff and I manage to get to all of the kids' conferences and then Jeff is off to lend support to his dad and R. I had to stay behind to herd children and celebrate a birthday and ended up alone in the house that night.
    God's Gift - We are blessed to live close enough to almost any of our family members that if they need us, we can be there within a day, if not a few hours, with very little fuss or planning required. It is a wonderful thing to be able to physically be there as well as spiritually. I also had the opportunity to spend time with Ben and see him open up during a "fancy" dinner out for his birthday. We had great conversations and I didn't have to eat anything that wasn't something I wouldn't have chosen for myself! Then I came home and snuggled into bed with a big brown fuzzy dog along one side of me, a gray cat tucked between my knees and a white one purring in my ear. God grants me support and warmth, and yes, I believe love, even when my husband isn't here!

** Friday night, R's daughter is starting to try and figure out how to get to Washington from the Atlantic Coast in a reasonable amount of time without going into major financial debt.
    God's Gift -  Family and Expedia.com. She was able to find an amazing ticket price for the very next day and some of the most loving babysitters had only just arrived that day, her in-laws!  She was able to focus on getting to her mom, knowing that her family was going to be lovingly taken care of in her absence. Can you imagine the relief?! According to her, there were several other signs that God's hand was in the pot but the one I can personally attest to is that I was able to pick her up at the airport on this end and spend the most enjoyable 3 hours with someone who I truly enjoy being with. Add to that the fact that I had just been whining that I was missing her since our last visit....wow!

** After driving to the airport then up to Port Angeles, I was informed that it was hoped that I would stay overnight. I hadn't exactly expected this turn of events and hadn't even packed a spare pair of undies, let alone made arrangements for the dog, two cats, and ducks to be left overnight.  Good GOD, do you know what two ravenous, toothless, house cats can do to a kitchen in one night??!!
   God's Gift - Unbelievable friends and neighbors.  After no more than two short phone calls and one text, I had one friend taking care of the ducks for as long as needed, my ex-husband heading over to take care of the dog and cats, and another friend who volunteered to check on everyone in the morning so that I could stay longer if needed. How is it that I am so deserving of such friends? Who volunteers to check the cat box??The weather was crappy, some of them didn't even live close by, and others were even allergic to half of the animals!!

** M and B had to serve at church on Sunday morning and then we were supposed to help out at the Harvest party at church.
  God's Gift  - Step moms. Their step mom, Nettie, took them to church AND stood up and made an announcement in our absence asking for prayer for our loved one.  She isn't even a member of our church!

All of this happened as a result of that darned tuu-maah. I dunno, R....I'm beginning to think it might have been a gift itself....I know that despite the fears, blessings have been accounted for at almost every turn. I only pray that we all are mindful enough during the hard times to notice them and feel His presence as He offers them to us.    

No comments: