Sunday, May 8, 2011

For Mom

I ran across these pictures the other day as I was looking for pictures of my kids...as it was, these turned out to be the most timely discoveries...Happy Mothers Day, mom.  I hope that when you look at these they bring back fond memories of being my mommy.  Admittedly, I don't remember many of these times, but as they were the building blocks to who and what I am now, I believe that they had to be full of love.  I thank God that He chose you to be my mom, and though I may not always think that live up to your accomplishments, I am thankful that I have you to look up to.



Even through the tough times (remember 13? The Year of Madonna? The Prince Purple Rain Album?) I knew I was loved. You made so many sacrifices for me, many of which were purely mental, I am sure. Looking back and comparing your reactions to things I am just now experiencing thanks to my kids, I am amazed I didn't just get locked in the closet some days.  Did you really let me go to England by myself when I was just a year older than Mac is now? How did you listen to hours of my music in the car...in Spanish?  What possessed you to let me play the same record over and over and over and OVER in the basement and you never told me to shut it off?  Were you drunk when you agreed to take me and my friends to the Menudo concert?? How did you handle it when I ROLLED MY EYES AT YOU!!! How on earth did you deal so gracefully with birthday parties and overnights? Two things which I can't even bring myself to deal with now! Then there were the boyfriends, Van Halen concerts, school issues, attitudes (I assume, I still have a hard time remembering any of that), car accidents, weddings (yes, plural)and everything those entailed, grandchildren births...sigh! You can bet I will be thinking of calling you when dating begins, school dances, driving lessons, trips abroad...oh Lord!
But for today, I give thanks. Thank you for NOT locking me in the closet.

No comments: