Saturday, February 27, 2010

All Zoo to Me

So we finally put to good use the family membership we received from Gramma Kathy for the Point Defiance Zoo. The weather was supposed to be nice today. How many years of living here will it take me to learn that "nice" is a relative term? Today it meant that it wasn't POURING rain, just sprinkling on and off. But it was still a fun day. We met Gary and Annette with Mac, Ben, Sammi and Gabe while we were there, long enough to eat lunch together and get an up close meeting with an owl (no pictures of course). Favorites included the Meerkats,
the sea horse (in this case, the Leafy Sea Dragon),
the aquarium inhabitants,
 and then my camera ended up in my backpack and became to big of  a pain to get out.  But we also greatly enjoyed the walrus (HUGE!) and the gibbons, who, (dang my camera) were very into the photo op, posing and re posing and in no way shy of the cameras. Even the porcupines kept in good view, guess the rain made the covered view stations a little more appealing. We even got close up to the Sumatran tigers and Asian elephants. I am always amazed at the opportunities we end up with when we go to that zoo! For me, today was like a virtual pet store, I wanted ALL of the meerkats, thought the otters would be a good addition to our little duck pond, and wished that I could take the Barn Owl home just for the beauty and entertainment factor (although the mouser option was a plus as well).

No comments: