Sunday, February 27, 2011

Miami (part deux)

So I have taken a lot of pictures that I find interesting, but that when I stop to think about it, others might not find as fascinating. I know that, personally, when I look at other's blogs, I would much rather look at pictures of people that I know, see how they have changed, love the expressions on their faces, etc. So why do I take so many pictures like this?
I actually took this one because it is an ENORMOUS bird-of-paradise, which I am used to seeing at about 1/3 this size. If you look in the midst of the yellow portion, you can actually see what looks like a flower about to bloom, I can only imagine what that must look like!

One of those man-of-war jellies I mentioned in the last blog. If you can imagine one of those plastic bubble things that kids tend to love, that comes out of the tube, you blow into a straw to inflate it. That is EXACTLY what these look like, especially as they cook on the beach and they are a VIBRANT blue color.  We saw several in the water that actually had small fish swimming in an amongst their tentacles.
 
This is a "sandbox" outside one of the resort hotels. They all created their own versions, some had small boats or forts with slides in them!

 So anyway, I will try not to post too many of those types today.;-)

This is an amazing picture of someone who has been awake, in some form or another, for WAAAAAAY too long. I think I was thinking violent thoughts at this point, doesn't it look it?
 Our first day of the show was, how shall I say this....GORGEOUS!  This is the view out the window from our favorite breakfast place, David's Cafe. This is a Cuban place that, since we have been coming, has expanded from a window connected to a small mini mart from which they dispensed Cuban coffee, and small sandwiches, to a full blown restaurant, staffed by family members and people we REALLY enjoy seeing in the morning. Most of the time, since we are pretty regular in our schedule, we have the same person serving us and it was a treat to have someone know exactly what we wanted and how as soon as we sat down.

Anyway, we set up the booth the day before the show. People hate us because it literally takes us minutes to do this, while the people with all of the propellers, hardware, boat cushions, sail wenches, clothing, etc, have to take a whole day to assemble their displays. I feel for them. Especially at the end of the show...
You would not BELIEVE the number of dogs that were at the show this year. I had noticed last year that there were a few, one of the more memorable was stuffed in a front carrier on his owner's chest. Several sported less than official looking "Helper Dog" vests. This year, they obviously loosened the rules as there were several that traveled in style like the one above, and others who just plodded along looking for treats and collapsing in heaps when their owners would stop at yet ANOTHER booth. There was another one that traveled in a stroller-type contraption outfitted with a water dish and food dish and a canopy.  My favorite was a little 4 lb white mop named Tallulah. I met her in the restroom one day when I pointed out to her owner who was ahead of me in line with Tallulah in her arms, that there wasn't anywhere to set her in the stalls other than the floor, which at that time of day was less than pristine, and I offered to hold her while her owner used the toilet.  Okay, is this weird?  I think she had a little reticent at accepting my offer, but one look at the floor and I think she realized she had no choice, this wasn't a dog you set on the floor of a public bathroom! Needless to say, I fell in love with the poor pup who just laid in my arms like she had never walked a step in her life.  Afterwards I realized I probably could have walked out of there with her and kept her easily hidden in my bag the whole trip back to Washington. Damn.
This is NOT Tallulah. But I loved him anyway. He kinda personified how I felt at that particular moment.

This is where our shoes lived the entire 8 hours we spent each day at the show. Save for trips to the bathroom.

Jeff doing his job. He is so stinkin' smart. Several people talked with him, then went to visit our competition but came back to us, despite our slightly higher prices, because they liked HIM.....so proud!
This picture was taken by the booth next door. I was out getting lunch but he was totally busted anyway.

A good portion of our time was spent doing this. Thankfully the weather was so nice as to make it not such a chore.

Doing what I do best. Reading magazines and playing Solitaire.
I really enjoyed Miami this year, not that I don't usually, but this year was especially nice. Whether it was due to the two extra days we had at the beginning to just kinda vegetate on the beach and get acclimatized, or the fact that we had bus passes (no more un-needed purchases at the drug store just so that we had $1s for the bus), or perhaps it was the fact that the weather was just THAT nice and our booth was located on the outer fringe of the tent instead of in the muggy inner aisles, it was just fun this year.  We had moments of frustration when the bus wouldn't come for hours and we would be forced to hire a taxi (so much for being prepared with bus passes) or when our room wasn't ready for us to collapse in, or the shower didn't work, but the memories this year will be of long walks, sunshine, fun people and great food (fried plantains stuffed with guacamole and seared tuna, anyone?).

My parents, of course, were the saints in this story. Weathering power outages within hours of our leaving, basketball games and practices, ferrying kids to the, uh, ferry, and everywhere else in between. Without them I wouldn't be able to take this trip each year and every year, and upon my arrival in Miami, I realize just how much I really NEED this trip.  A shot of sun in the middle of February may be all that gets me to July in somewhat decent shape. The kids do their share as well, making sure that Nana and Poppy still want to come back each time. Of course, my parents had their own trip to look forward to at the end, down to Arizona for their own shot of sun. Believe me, I know how important it is and I hope they enjoy it just as much as I did.

No comments: