Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Things That Make Me Happy

I was lying on the living room floor this morning bemoaning the fact that it was so covered in dog hair, (as was I after a less than stellar attempt at doing situps,) that it was too windy outside, that I didn't want to work anymore this morning, that I didn't feel like doing laundry, that all I wanted to do was run away to Good Will and spend money that I didn't have (because I didn't want to work anymore), when I rolled over and noticed the reflection of water on the ceiling. There was a moment of panic, and then I realized that it was the reflection from the birdbath just outside. I laid there for several minutes just watching the wiggling reflection and I realized that I was just plain enjoying watching it. Simply watching the reflection of water on the ceiling was changing my attitude about my day. Suddenly, I was pondering the fact that such a simple thing could cause such an almost manic change in attitude. So then I got to thinking about what else has the power to do that. My obvious answer was prayer, but upon second thought, I realized that not even that was a sure thing. Sometimes I believe God just thinks He can do more good with my miserableness than he can with my joy. So I set about thinking again, what are practically sure-fire things that will change my mood from one of selfish misery to one of joyful thankfulness? Well......
 There is the obvious.... SUNSHINE. But sunshine added to other things, like water, or fall leaves...
One of Ben's irrepressible giggles....now and then....

A happy pet....
The appearance of organization in my house....
A child's clean room....
Ok, that's an old one.
Being able to connect with old friends and have it be like you never went anywhere for 20 years....
(That's Gretchen, from 4th grade and Erin from 5th, by the way)
A peaceful moment in my house when I know exactly where and what my kids are doing (and I'm okay with it)
This picture just makes me happy....period.
I think this is going to be an ongoing posting subject. I find that I have been thinking about it for the past several days (yes, I started this about two days ago.....)

No comments: